Tuesday, January 02, 2007

The Hill Country - Cowboy Christmas Day 2

Mooey and I awoke and quickly packed our clothes and checked out of the Crockett. We had a full day. Mooey had really done her research and found some interesting sites to see between San Antonio and Austin.

The first stop was the Natural Bridge Caverns.

These caverns are kept at a temperature of 70 degrees with the relative humidity of 99%. We went down 180 feet and then had to walk back up. Needless to say, there was some sweating involved. I won't bore you with the hundreds of pictures we took of stalagmites because most of them did not come out because it was so dark. Here are a few of the formations and then a couple of Mooey and I for your enjoyment.

Here is Mooey enjoying the cave.

Keep in mind this cave tour lasted 75 minutes. Straight down and straight back up. Here's a picture at about 5 minutes in. Very happy.

10 minutes. Still happy.

20 minutes. Not as happy.

70 minutes. Delirious. This is right before I passed the fuck out. I'm not even looking at the camera. The humidity was smothering. 75 minutes = way too fucking long.

We emerged from the cavern around 1:30 and not a minute too soon. They had snapped a photo of us in anticipation of us purchasing it. Here is ours.

Of course we bought it. It's hysterical.

We blasted out of that place and headed to Wimberly. There is a glass store there that you can watch them actually blowing the glass. This chandelier was spectacular.

We went in the back where the demostration was taking place.

They guy was in love with himself and a total jerk to his assistant. Mooey talked me into buying a stupid glass ball and then we left.

Onto the winery!

That's right. You are looking at the wine tasting center. We went in a tasted 6 wines. I really liked 2 of them and Mooey bought 2 bottles.

Mooey snapped this picture of the view.

Here we are after the tasting.

My hair never recovered after the cave incident.

The ladies at the winery gave us a tiny map to our next destination. It was time to eat! We were early to the restaurant and got seated immediately.

We both ordered family style which means all you can eat.

That folks is brisket, ribs and sausage on the plate plus pickles, slaw, potato salad, ranch style beans, bread and extra sauce. Sweet Jesus!

Look at that pink smoke ring around that brisket! It was heavenly. They sure could give Memphis BBQ a run for their money. Needless to say, we made ourselves sick. Jake, the waiter, sat down and drew us a map on a napkin to get to our hotel. He showed us a backway so we could skip Interstate 35. He was right on the money and we were at our hotel in 20 minutes.

We checked in and changed clothes. We needed margaritas. Next to the hotel is this restaurant. We stopped in for a quick drink while we devised our plan.

We decided to take the car down to 6th Street. It has tons of bars and we wanted to bar hop. Mooey was telling me she couldn't get buzzy because of all the BBQ she ate at the Salt Lick. I told her she needed to do a shooter. Mooey turned up her nose and said she didn't like those fruity shooters that I always do but she would consider shooting tequila. It was my turn to snarl but Mooey convinced me by saying "We're in Texas."

As we were walking down 6th Street trying to pick a bar I saw this bar and knew it was the place to get a tequila shot.

We entered the bar and it was empty. It was a little early for the bars apparently. No one gets out until midnight. Anyway, we bellied up to the bar and saw the two bartenders. Both were very good looking and their breasts were about to fall out of their shirts. We had picked the right place! I ordered two Bud Lights and 2 shots of Patron chilled.

The bartender shook our Patron and began filling the cups for the shots. I expected the cup to be about half full, but when her arm got tired of pouring and the tequila was to the rim, I knew we were in trouble. The picture doesn't really do the amount of tequila justice. It was 4 giant gulps. Even the bartender looked at it and said "Oh, those are really big. Oh well.", shrugged, turned on her heel and left us to shoot them.

So, we shot them. About 30 seconds later we were giggling. I turned to Mooey and said, "Boy, that Patron sure can get a party started." We thought that was the funniest thing ever.

Then we were trying to figure out a way to get the bartender's picture. So, Mooey called her over and had her take this picture of us.

Then Mooey grabbed the camera and turned it on the bartender.

We had a couple of beers here but finally pulled ourselves away and headed to the next bar.

We ordered Black & Tans here. It was real frat boyish in here so we only had one beer. Onto the next bar.

This place was kind of crowded but we were able to snag 2 seats at the bar. There was also cute bartenders here. Mooey snapped this one. Too bad that cup is in the way.

We had not had enough to drink so we bought jello shooters.

We decided we needed to head back to the hotel area before we couldn't drive. We bid adieu to 6th Street. We'd done it proud.

We parked the Aveo and walked across the street to this bar. It was packed and there was an $8 cover but we could hear the music and it sounded awesome. This band was playing. They were fantastic. They reminded me a little bit of Dwight Yoakam. The fiddle player was unbelievable.

We watched them for about 45 minutes and left. We'd finally had enough.

We fell into bed. We'd had a full day!

No comments: