Thursday, January 29, 2009

Christmas in New York Day Three

The day after Christmas, Mooey and I had a private food tour with Myra from Noshwalks. This tour was in Queens, specifically in Elmhurst.

We met at this grocery store. Myra took us in and we looked at all the different can goods and seafood. Some of the stuff was bizarre.

Then we stopped in this tiny grocery store that was also a video store. Myra picked up some fried plantains and taro root.

As I was looking around, I noticed these bugs for sale in the freezer. Yummy!

We walked around and she showed us this Thai church. It was beautiful.

Then she took us to another small grocery and we picked up this mackeral thing and a drink made from basil seeds. We took all our stuff and went to a nearby park to eat it. It was really cold that day and we nearly froze to the concrete bench.

Mackeral paste stuff. That's the best way I can describe it.

These were peanut balls. The outside was very chewy and had no taste but the inside had peanut butter.

This is the basil drink. It was okay tasting but I kept thinking there was a bug in my drink.
This is chicken with onions and cliantro. It was SO HOT!

After eating, we went into another grocery store. Check out this okra!

And green bean popsicles. MMMMMMMMM!
How about some whole squid?

Myra then took us to this dumpling house. She said they would make noodles from scratch right in front of us.


After making the noodles, she cooked them with some pork. The soup was great.

Then we ordered some pork dumplings. These were by far the best dumplings I've ever had in my life. I could've eaten 10 more.

Then, because we'd never had them, we ordered scallion pancakes. They were awesome.

Our last stop was an Indonesian place called Java Village.

Myra ordered some kelp (I actually ate it!) and some chicken dish. It was so great. I could've eaten the whole thing myself!

Here is Myra with the chef at the restaurant. They were very nice.

On the way to the subway, Mooey could not resist a ride on Donald Duck. Myra lent me a quarter and off she went. We laughed and laughed until the ride was over.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok besides the bugs, every thing looks delicious!

I live in queens btw and I'm glad you came for a visit. :)

forexwatch said...

Beautiful & interesting pics.

Taradharma said...

found your blog via Karen.

OMG you love food as much as I do!!! NYC is the best for food -- I had a great dinner at Sylvia's (Harlem) a few years back. Excellent cat fish!